My daughter’s class did projects for school about the solar system and we made these cookies to complement her Earth presentation. They turned out fabulous! They’re simple, easy to make, vegan and allergy-friendy. No rolling out dough, no flour mess on the floor, and best of all they’re completely hands on. Kids can be involved from start to finish. Great for an Earth day project!
Hint: If you have a good allergy-friendly sugar cookie recipe and have the time, by all means bake ’em from scratch and send us your recipe and we’ll post it!
Hint #2: If you don’t have time to bake at all, you can purchase round-shaped cookies at the store. I promise I won’t tell!
What you’ll need:
¼ cup oil
¼ cup milk (your choice: rice, soy, cow’s milk, almond milk)
2 ½ teaspoons of vanilla
Blue and green food coloring (India Tree makes a natural version)
Wooden spoon and teaspoons
Large mixing bowl
Small cups or bowls
1. Follow the instructions on the box – stirring well with a wooden spoon is sufficient – no need for a mixer really.
2. With a teaspoon, scoop out even-sized balls of dough for the kids to flatten into circles with their hands directly onto the baking sheet.
3. Bake according to the directions on the box. Watch the cookies carefully because baking times can vary according to your oven and the size of the cookies.
*4.While the cookies are baking, pull out a globe or search online for an image of Earth. Have the kids draw what Earth looks like so they can practice for when they decorate their cookie.
5. Make the icing. I usually make individual cups of icing so that the kids could add the food coloring by themselves. For approximately 1-2 cookies: Into two separate cups, measure a heaping tablespoon of powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of water and stir. If the icing is too runny to spread on the cookie, add some more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add a tiny bit more water.
6. Let the kids decorate the cookies to look just like their drawings!
7. If you can’t possibly hold off, eat them right there and then but if you can manage to wait a bit the icing will harden and they’ll be transportable (to school, grandma’s house.)
Looks like someone doesn’t feel like waiting to eat her cookies! 🙂
Watch Aiden show us how to make really cool Earth cookies!